Posted to uk.d-i-y
ste ste is offline

Default Paint cracking on exterior door

Stuart Noble wrote:
ste wrote:
nog wrote:
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 12:06:52 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Perhaps I should have added that it was the flexible variant of car body
filler that I used. That leads me to wonder whether it was its flexible
charcteristic that contributed to the problem?

Car body filler is not flexible enough for wood joints that are
subject to movement, a softer wood type filler should be used,
something like
Brummer filler for example.

ste

Brummer stopper is 100% clay, and we know how flexible that is!

Clay?, that's totally unsatisfactory as a base filler for wood, even a
car body filler would be more flexible than clay.

Can you not obtain lead fillers these days? or have these been banned on
heath & safety grounds like lead paint was, although I think you can
still purchase lead based paint from some outlets.

ste