Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Substitute for Mica Wave Guide Cover?

On Nov 3, 11:17 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote groups.com:

On Nov 3, 6:53 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote
roups.com:

On Nov 3, 2:09 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 3 Nov, 13:40, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've order a sheet of mica to make a new waveguide cover for my
microwave. In the meantime, the kids keep staring at the gas
stove with a bewildered look in their eyes.

Do I have anything lying around the house that can serve as a
temporary waveguide cover? I tried scraping the carbon spot off
the old one, but I put hole right through it. Can I put tape
over the hole and use it for a few days?

Follow-up question: Why are waveguide covers made of mica?

How about this?

Don't ask me why, but I have an old waveguide cover from the same
unit. Can I cut out a piece and glue it over the hole in the
other one? Would regular Elmers whie glue work?

OK, so scratch the patch and Elmer's glue idea. I tried it and
heated up a cup of coffee for 30 seconds. The patch got
warm...cooled off really quick, but it was definitely warm while
the rest of the waveguide was cool.

I'm back to looking for a substitute.

a piece of glass or clear plastic. both are transparent to MW
eneergy. I guess mica was chosen as a low-cost durable,opaque MW
window,and food spatter would clean off it easily.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Thanks.

I read one website that said that mica helped scatter the MW, which is
desirable for more even cooking, but I read another that said it ain't
so. In any case, I'm looking at a short term fix.

Now I need a way to get the plastic (plexiglass) to stay in the holder

couple of small spots of superglue?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Thanks...All set. Found some thin, stiff plastic in the shop. Thin
enough to fit in the original holder. Should last a couple of days
until the mica comes in.

Thanks again.