Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Dumb question about copper piping

On Nov 1, 7:50 am, wrote:
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 04:58:29 +0000 (UTC), (Dave

Martindale) wrote:
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com writes:
Imagine my disgust when I discovered the plumber had installed the quarter turn
valve with the access port to the inside of the house rather than outboard of
the other seat/stem type valve. In other words, introducing compressed air to
the valve would blow the water inside the house up until that point rather than
the water from that point outside.

I'd like to know how a plumber, who ought to have some idea what they're
doing, manages to install something like this backward in the first
place.

I had a similar situation: the main water supply for the house enters
under the entrance doorway (the door is half a flight above the
basement), then there's a tee that feeds the outside faucets before the
water passes through the pressure regulator. There's a shutoff valve
for the outside faucets, and the valve has a little capped drain port.
The drain port is *supposed* to be downstream, so once the valve has
been shut off, you can drain the water from the lines. But the valve
was in backwards, and when I removed the cap from the "drain" port, I
suddenly had 60 PSI water spraying out instead of the gentle drain flow
I expected. Stupid.

I removed it and installed a new valve with the drain on the downstream
side. This was complicated by the output line being polybutylene, which
I can't get fittings for any more, so I had to cut the PB short, install
a few inches of PEX with a PB-to-PEX adapter, and then use a PEX fitting
on the valve. The supply-side plumbing is all copper, which unsoldered
and went back together fine.

Dave

These days, many of these generation X plumbers are alcoholics or drug
addicts. You know that whole generation is just a bunch of lazy good
for nothing bums, so this comes as no surprise at all. Thats why when
I have any work done on my home, I either do it myself or when I
contact a company, I tell them outright that I will not allow anyone
under the age of 40 to even enter my home with a tool.- Hide quoted text -

I will not allow anyone under the age of 40 to even enter my home
with a tool

Good thinking...because we all know there no alcoholics or drug
addicts over the age of 40.