Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jason.mangiafico@verizon.net is offline

Default Replacing fluorescent bulb

sinister wrote:
Light went out in the bathroom. It's a 48" 25W T12 GE fluorescent bulb.

I can get one online, but I'd rather rush it and buy one in a brick and
mortar store. Problem is that they only have 32W and 40W. Does that
matter?

TIA,

What is the actual label printed on the bulb?
Is something like F48T12CW?

GE Utility Shoplite
F48"/25W/UTSL
25W
USA
Hg

Those 25w tubes are actually just 40w tubes with electrodes optimized
for lower power. They will run on a 40w ballast, but with shortened
life.

It's likely this fixture has a cheap uncorrected residential 40w
ballast in it, and some previous owner/tenant that didn't know better
put the 25w tube in there. Your best bet would be the 40w tube then.
I would avoid those 25w tubes at all costs unless you have a 25w
shoplite that specifically says it can use them. They're only really
designed for low power use in those 25w shoplites.

Yes, I have seen 32w tubes in these types of ballasts with little ill
effect. These residential ballasts do actually underpower even a 40w
tube somewhat, and a 32w T8 tube have a higher operating voltage and
will be only slightly overpowered.

When all set and done, I would not chance a 34w tube in any
residential ballast unless it specifically says it can use them.
That's because 34w tubes have a different gas misture and cheap
uncorrected residental ballasts will severly overheat.