Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cordless lawn mowers - any good?

Peter Lynch wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:07:00 +0000, NoSpam wrote:
I've just decided the old petrol rotary is too rusted to repair again
and, while doing some research into a replacement, have stumbled over
cordless mowers.
I'm naturally cynical about claims but the Bosch Rotak specs claim
they're OK for 400m2 of lawn on a single charge, and the Lithium-ion
batteries should last well (if they don't burst into flames :-( ) - but
has anyone actually used one? Are they any good?

Dave

Talking about the Li-ion batteries, how do these hold/deliver charge in
cold weather?

Hold is good, deliver is less good. But probably good enough. They are
far more like lead acid in their general feel and behaviour than nickel
base cells

I've noticed that the batteries for my camera (also Li-ion) last a
matter of minutes when I'm using the camera at night during the
winter.

That is probably poor cells that simply sag under load when cold: the
capacity should not be affected. Ive seen cells that run past limits
appear to do just that, but if left for a few minutes, the voltage comes
up and they will deliver full capacity.

Now I appreciate that you (probably :-) won't be cutting
your grass at night, but the chemistry in the cells does reduce
their capacity when they're cold. So you may find that you'll get
less grass-cutting capability in the early morning if your mower's
been kept in a cold shed overnight.