Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd, RN Mortimer Schnerd, RN is offline

Default Dumb question about copper piping

Dave Martindale wrote:
I'd like to know how a plumber, who ought to have some idea what they're
doing, manages to install something like this backward in the first
place.

I've got a little update but the solution isn't in place just yet: I was made
aware at a plumber's supply house today that there does exist such a beast as
5/8" tubing. "Of course, nobody would use that because it costs about twice as
much. That's getting into refrigeration stuff."

Well, I went home and got on the internet and sure enough, I found a description
of 5/8" copper tubing where it said it was used (among other spots) for hot
tubs. Well, my line is to be found right in front of the hot tub which is just
to the side of where I come into the crawl space. The hot tub is cut into the
floor of the bathroom directly above and I have access to the filter, etc where
I come in. So having that line there seems reasonable.... even if it "costs
twice as much".

So it seems what I need to extract myself from this mess is a pair of 5/8" to
1/2" copper reducers. I can then solder in the ball valve I already paid for
and the problem is solved. At least that's how I hope things will go. I won't
know until I lay my hands on those reducers and see if they will fit the tubing
already out there.

Film at 11....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN