Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default knobs or pulls or both?

"djay" wrote in message
news:8pTVi.8611$R%4.3781@trnddc05...
Hi all!

Haven't been here in a while and, well, the wife is interested in
"redoing" the kitchen cabinets and drawers etc. This translates into
refinishing and adding hardware. Right now the drawer fronts and cabinets
have no pulls or knobs and we just use the edge of the drawer/cabinet door
to open said door or cabinet. So the finish wears off etc. Anyway, I
will refinish (have done the vanity wit excellent results- so this is no
problem).

She likes these brushed nickel fooball knobs and I was wondering if the
football knobs would also be acceptable on the drawers. This probably
comes down to personal taste so opinions will vary, however is there some
steadfast rule for pulls on drawers and knobs on cabinets? What say
YOU!?!? Thanks! Djay

We've done a lot of them and have found:

Sometimes a pull will be in a place where it is easy to get a finger stuck
in it.
Sometimes you have to continue with what's there, or else you have to fill
old holes and drill new ones.
A combination of knobs and pulls can be very attractive, and I believe there
is no need to have one or the other exclusively.
Sometimes a mix of more than one style looks good.
Use a template to drill, whether you buy it or make it. Nicer finished job.
Drill slowly so that when you come through, you don't splinter the wood.
Drill on high speed with a light pressure. Come out frequently to clean the
sawdust out of the bit.
Buy several trial types and take them home to see which ones you like. They
will take back the ones you don't like. They will look different at home
than in the store, and you might find that one type goes better with some
element that's already in your kitchen.

HTH. Just some things we learned, some the hard way.

Steve