Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Dumb question about copper piping

I suspect that your copper is out-of-round. It may have happened
when you were using the cutter, especially if it does not have a
good cutting wheel.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in
message ...
With the first freeze of the year last night, I crawled under
the house to shut off the water to the back deck and blow out
the line with some compressed air. Imagine my disgust when I
discovered the plumber had installed the quarter turn valve with
the access port to the inside of the house rather than outboard
of the other seat/stem type valve. In other words, introducing
compressed air to the valve would blow the water inside the
house up until that point rather than the water from that point
outside.

So what to do? I cut the line with a tubing cutter and was
going to solder in another ported quarter turn valve... only
this time to the outside of the water line shutoff. When I
tried to fit the valve on the now open piping, no amount of
stuffing and grunting would get the job done. A visit to the
local borg revealed plenty of 1/2" fittings, only they would fit
the thinner M type piping. I assume I've got L tubing which is
just a little thicker.

Where do I get valves that would fit? Or should I find some
sort of reducer (seems like more work than I want to do)? And
why don't the borgs sell valves that fit the tubing they sell?
They've got both kinds of tubing but just the smaller diameter
valves. The immediate problem is solved: I blew out the line
under the deck after I cut it under the house. But I won't have
more water out there until I repair this.

Gents?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com