Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Enlarge a basement window and closing in 2 others.

"Zephyr" wrote in message
This would entail cutting the foundation to make it larger. Yikes!
The window in the wall in question runs parralel to my joists, so I'm
not worried about weight or anything like that. Am I better of
renting a saw that I can cut the foundation wall with, or should I get
a diamond blade and cut it with my circular saw.
I know a rental saw would probably take the beating better, but, can I
get one that I can operate 7 feet off the ground? Does a circular saw
and a nice $40 blade have a chance of cutting thru my foundation wall?

oh, and any advise on closing in the 2 other windows? they have a
metal frame that looks like was in place when the foundation was
poured. I was thinking of just pulling out the glass and framing the
opening with PT lumber and putting a board on each side of some
insulation

How thick is your foundation? That circular saw is not going to get
through. You'd have a better shot with a rental, an even better shot at it
by calling a pro and paying to have it done. That is not easy work. At
work, we tried cutting just a groove in concrete and burned up two saws.

For the windows you are blocking, if you want some light consider glass
block.