Posted to alt.home.repair
Zephyr Zephyr is offline

Default Enlarge a basement window and closing in 2 others.

Hey everyone,

I'm starting to toss around ideas for finishing my basement. I'm
stuck on windows. I have 2 small 12 x 20 windows that are under my
deck that I am thinking of framing closed, and 1 other 12 x 20 window
that I want to make larger to let in more light.

This would entail cutting the foundation to make it larger. Yikes!
The window in the wall in question runs parralel to my joists, so I'm
not worried about weight or anything like that. Am I better of
renting a saw that I can cut the foundation wall with, or should I get
a diamond blade and cut it with my circular saw.
I know a rental saw would probably take the beating better, but, can I
get one that I can operate 7 feet off the ground? Does a circular saw
and a nice $40 blade have a chance of cutting thru my foundation wall?

oh, and any advise on closing in the 2 other windows? they have a
metal frame that looks like was in place when the foundation was
poured. I was thinking of just pulling out the glass and framing the
opening with PT lumber and putting a board on each side of some
insulation

Dave