Posted to alt.home.repair
Nancy Young Nancy Young is offline

Default Stove vent pipe question

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote in message

Do you think there is any reason why the vent pipe can't be a
rectangular shape rather than round? If it was flat it woud go
along the top of the cabinets and wouldn't be visible. I think.

But who knows, maybe that shape would cause a grease buildup
or something I wouldn't think of. Is there a good reason why
vent pipes usuallly are round?

Nancy,
Vent pipes are usually round because they are easy to work with, can be
turned in any direction, etc. If rectangle works for you, that would be
OK. Just be sure the square inches of the duct opening is the same size.
Chances are, the top of the MW is square anyway and a transition piece to
round is needed. When you get to the top of the cabinet with a rectangle,
if you turn front or back, that is simple, but if you go left or right,
that is more difficult to find the right piece. A sheetmetal place that
does ducts can make whatever you need though.

Thanks so much, you understood exactly what I was getting at.
It would have to go right immediately above the microwave, but
after that it's a straight shot to the outside wall. Maybe 8, 10 feet.

I get what you're saying, the vent would need to have the same
capacity as a round one would.

nancy