Posted to alt.home.repair
smcjensen smcjensen is offline

Default Furnace Thermocouples

I have Carrier gas furnaces in the house, one upstairs, one
downstairs. Home was built in 1990. They eat thermocouples, which
are apparently the devices that keep the pilot light lit. Three have
failed in the last few years and low and behold, the upstairs has
failed again. By failure, I mean the pilot light won't stay lit. Any
explanation or solution to the recurring problem? Looking at the part
from previous replacements, looks like a do it yourself job to
replace. I've done major automotive work so it doesn't seem too
intimidating to me, just awkward to get to.

I've also had to replace the circuit boards a number of times over the
years at $300+ per pop and other parts like ignitors and capacitors.
Since when are furnaces as reliable as a 1987 Pontiac? Needless to
say if I ever have to replace them they won't be Carriers.