Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cordless lawn mowers - any good?

NoSpam wrote:

I've just decided the old petrol rotary is too rusted to repair again
and, while doing some research into a replacement, have stumbled over
cordless mowers.
I'm naturally cynical about claims but the Bosch Rotak specs claim
they're OK for 400m2 of lawn on a single charge, and the Lithium-ion
batteries should last well (if they don't burst into flames :-( ) - but
has anyone actually used one? Are they any good?

Dave

Smallest petrol engined mowers I've seen have been 2hp, which is
1.5kW.
To get 1.5kW for 1 hour at 12v would require 125A and 125Ah - or
allowing 25% for fast discharge, 156Ah. IRL they'll be higher than
12v, but thats to give an easy comparison to batteries we're all
familiar with.

IOW something has to give, with real life power output being lower
than the lowest available petrol mower.

Also a large set of batteris and charger costs a lot more than a
mains lead, so again you're getting a lot less mower for the
equivalent cost.

NT