Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod LRod is offline

Default 220 electrical outlets?

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:14:58 -0500, Tom Veatch wrote:

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:40:41 -0700, Jim Brown
wrote:

Just finishing my workshop and am doing my finish work. On 220
electrical outlets I notice there are a couple of different styles.
What is the difference. There is on that is similar to a 110 sytle but
with one of the blades turned 90 degrees. there is also one they call
a NEMA 6(?)? All three blades are in a cricular pattern. My new
jointer recommends the NEMA but would like to know what the difference
is and why one is better than the other.

Thanks,

Jim

Not so much that one is "better" than the other, but that the
differently configured receptacles are rated for different maximum
current. BTW, they are all "NEMA" configurations. NEMA 5-XX are 120v
plug/receptacle configurations and NEMA 6-XX are for 240v circuits.

"Rated" may be an unfortunate choice of words (especially when using
"for maximum current"). "Keyed" is more accurate. For example, (and I
can't speak to the locking series) the 6-15 and 6-20 are keyed
differently, and the 6-15 is for 15 A and the 6-20 is for 20 A.
However, an exception exists in the NEC which permits that in 15 and
20 A circuits (on both 120V and 240V supplies), either receptacle may
be used on a 20A line. You can't, however, use a -20 on a 15 A line.

So, clearly, the 15 A receptacle is "rated" (in tems of its ability to
carry the current) for 20 A, it's just "keyed" for 15 A plugs (a 20 A
plug won't fit into it). However a 20 A receptacle will accept both a
15 A and a 20 A plug.

All of the foregoing is thrown out the window if the only receptacle
on the circuit is a simplex receptacle--then the receptacle must match
the current capacity dictated by the wire/breaker.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.