Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rob Morden Rob Morden is offline

Default HF truck crane

I agree with pretty much everything SteveB says but don't attach it to
the side of a common pickup truck at the back - I know from experience
that a side force here will quickly impare the usefullness of the tail
gate. Been there done that - I didn't attach it but I did have it
lean over against it. It was a lot harder it seems to get the side
back to where the gate would latch than it seemed to be to push it
out.

It is cheap steel - the pins wear and the winch is made from butter
but for the price? There are a lot better ones out there I know. Be
careful of the winch - when they strip they can be interesting - mine
jammed fortunately but I was only at 1/2 load I think.

rem
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:24:17 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Ignoramus10340" wrote in message
m...
Has anyone used this crane? Any good/bad experiences?

No, yes, and yes.

First of all, I have not used the crane. Yet, by optical examination, it
seems borderline.

I was Offshore Petroleum Institute certified rigger, and ran a 30 ton crane
on an offshore drilling platform for more than two years, so I have a LITTLE
bit of experience.

The weak points a

Steel: HF and the Chicoms are advancing in their metallurgy, and the
hardness of their steel is improving. Things that would wear out a few
years ago are lasting longer now. It all depends on the application. Hard
use will bring out the weak points FAST.

Examine the working loads. Just because the unit is rated at 1,000#, it
will last far longer if you only use it to lift 250 or 500, or even 750
occasionally than 1,000 24/7.

Watch the connections. The terminal sockets, the cable ends that have the
sockets either pressed on there, or (correctly) have them poured with molten
metal are subject to coming off. The sheaves (rollers) are subject to wear
and failure. Easily replaced, but catastrophic if not noticed in time
before failure mode. Replace roller pins with #8 grade bolts.

They're like come-a-longs. Good ones, you just go out and use. Cheap ones,
you have to watch and repair as you go along.

This unit may do well and serve you a long time. But keep an eye on it, and
service whenever and wherever you notice wear.

One last thing.

Lots of people over rate their pickups. The basal mounting and the mounting
to the side wall are critical. Leverage is everything, and even the
absolute spendiest best davit (which is what this is essentially , a davit,
not the best and spendiest) will pull out with the right leverage in a
millisecond while you are watching it do so. So, be aware of your loads,
your angles, and such. BTW, the way this is pictured with the base
attached, and not the mast to the sidewall of the truck is an accident
waiting to happen, and I don't think would lift my mother-in-law safely.
Some lateral bracing would be appropriate, inexpensive, and entirely
correct.

Again, I'm no expert. I've just seen a lot of stuff work and a lot of stuff
fail. These are the strong points I see and the weak ones, too. Mainly
realize that this is no stiff leg or A frame that will lift a lot of weight.
And even one of those has to be level or it gets hairy.

Steve