Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

Default Why Dripping from One-Lever Shut Off Valve of Washing Machine?

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
ps.com...
I am wondering why the one-lever shut off valve of my washing machine
starts dripping. It was trouble-free since the plumber installed it
seven years ago. Unfortunately, since several weeks ago it started
dripping whenever I turn ON the valve. Luckily, it doesn't drip when
I turn it OFF. But today it has become a fast-drip rather than a slow-
drip. Seem like the problem is getting worse. I will have to replace
it. Before I replace it, I want to figure out why it drips in the
first place.

I am under the impression that one-lever shut off valves are very
reliable, and I only turn it ON and OFF only twice a week for the last
seven years. This means I turns the lever four times a week, 208
times a year, and 1456 times since it was installed seven years ago.
I have a feeling that the valve is not subjected to a lot of wears,
right?

My questions a

o Why does this valve start dripping so soon?

o How can I prevent the new valve from failing so soon if I replace
the old one with a new one?

o Is there any brand of valve that is better than others?

Thanks in advance for any info on this problem.

One thing I need to point out is that the valve is in the basement,
and the water pipes come from the ceiling of the basement, and reach
the valve that is mounted in the middle of the basement wall. I am
wondering whether there is something in the water that may have sunk
down to the bottom of the water pipe and touched the valve and might
have corroded the valve or scratched the valve.

Jay Chan

Replace the valve--it's leaking and none of your questions is going to fix
it. One hint though--assuming that it's soldered in place---by an exact
duplicate model and just replace the innards and use the same outer body. I
did that without any problems. Makes for an easy solution.
MLD