Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud Larry Bud is offline

Default Where can I get parts for 12V battery charger

On Oct 28, 6:21 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"terry" wrote in message

s.com...

Member of the 'throw-away' society; eh Tony?
Have to agree that if/when one has to pay North American labour rates
it is often not economic to 'pay' for something to be fixed!
Also to 'pay' for something to be fixed usually means driving
somewhere or having someone come and pick it up, repair it and return
it (or pick it up yourself). With the consequent use of gasoline etc.
However anyone willing to reuse/recycle should be commended.
My quick, back of the envelope, calculations seem to indicate that any
significant project I can tackle personally can often be completed for
one third the cost if one does it oneself, especially if one has
mostly used materials on hand or saved up for it. Repairing an item
such as a battery charge from a few extra bits on hand or purchased
could possibly be done for just a few dollars. I too have couple of
such chargers and another to scrap for parts. A few years ago rebuilt
one of those 'heavy' chargers that can give enough current to start a
vehicle or recharge a battery in 20 minutes. It had been thrown out by
a local auto repair outfit who said "take it". Some $40 later and with
the addition of a missing handle replaced with one from a scrapped
'weed eater' it is good as a new $250-$300 one!
I congratulate the OP for thinking about refurbishing, reuse, repair
or recycle whatever you want to call it. We should all be thinking
that way.

If everyone saved and re-used broken things and scavenged them from others, what
would happen to our economy?

For starters, personal debt would go down.