Posted to alt.home.repair
beecrofter[_2_] beecrofter[_2_] is offline

Default kink in motorized gate drive chain

On Oct 25, 9:40 pm, "Jim Beaver" wrote:
I've got a sliding (rolling, actually, but you know) gate on my driveway,
driven by a motor with a drive chain of the same sort as on a bicycle,
basically. It's got a couple of links that are kinking, preventing the
chain from processing through the drive mechanism and thus preventing the
gate from opening all the way. I've lubed the heck out of the chain, but
the kinks won't loosen up, even twisting them with pliers. They're not HUGE
kinks, just a quarter- to a half-inch out of alignment, but it's enough to
stop them from going through.

Trying to DIY, but gave up and called the company that installed the gate
two years ago, Himco. Himco has promised me for two days in a row that
someone would be out "today." So I'm back to DIY, in hopes someday of
getting my car out of my driveway.

Jim Beaver

Cost of new chain is not a wallet buster.
Consider it a wear item like a fan belt.