Posted to sci.electronics.repair
svu geek svu geek is offline

Default Moire effects on new TV

What would be causing a Moire effect on a new CRT SDTV? There are
smally wavy lines that appear on the middle sides of the tv. I'm
pretty sure they're moire effects. They only appear in a spot that's
maybe 2-3 inches in diameter.

The tv is a 27" flatscreen that's 480i. The tv is connected to the VCR
via coaxial cables and the VCR is then connected to the digital cable
box via coaxial cables. The cable signal/reception isn't all that
great and I get horizontal wavy lines on some analog channels. I think
the moire effects also appear when watching a dvd through composite
cables.

There are no signs of electrical interference.

Even though the tv is a flatscreen, it seems to cave in a bit on the
sides. Older CRTs caved out on the sides.

Do the moire effects mean the tv is defective? Is it something that
will get worse with time? I suppose I want to know if it should be
returned? It doesn't bother me as I hardly notice. I just don't want
to get stuck with a defective tv.