Posted to alt.home.repair
Cindy Hamilton Cindy Hamilton is offline

Default This Old [millionaires] House

On Oct 22, 10:57 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 22 Oct, 10:17, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Oct 20, 8:44 am, "J.A. Michel" wrote:

What's up with Kevin O'Conner? He looks like a grown up version of Ralphie
from a "Christmas Story" and is a dumbass to boot. I seen a show where
he was helping Tom Silva do something, and all Tom got done was telling
Ralphie how to do stuff.

Kevin O'Conner asks dumb questions so that Tom Silva will be able to
present
the material to the audience in a way that seems natural. Think of
Kevin
as the shill in the audience. If I recall correctly, they
"discovered" Kevin
when he sent a question to Ask This Old House. He'd done a lot of
work on
his own house, but had some issue that they thought would be
interesting to
have on ATOH. He looked good on camera, and his predecessory (Steve)
was ready to leave, so they hired Kevin. Before being on TOH, Kevin
was
an attorney.

Cindy Hamilton

I was watching TOH last night. They were installing the tank for a
septic system. As the scene opened, Richard Trethewey had his hands
on the septic tank as it was being lowered into place by the crane.
He was calling out commands - "Easy", "Slowly", "OK, keep coming".
Kevin appears on camera and starts talking to Rich about the system.
Rich takes his hands off the tank, and begins walking with, and
talking to, Kevin about the installation process.

Meanwhile, the camera shows the crane still lowering the tank into the
hole, and I'm like "OK, if Rich was *really* guiding this massive
tank into place, who's doing it now?" It was obvious that it was all
for show and they didn't need Rich's help at all. I had to laugh!

That's good. I'd expect the real guide was using hand signals, or
maybe
a radio.

Cindy Hamilton