Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] alvinamorey@notmail.com is offline

Default Mercury vapor (or other) security light

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 07:52:11 -0400, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone know anything about MV lights? I have an old (10-20 yr)
security light outside my barn, wired to come on at night. It hasn't
worked since I bought the place, ~7 years ago.

I got up on a ladder yesterday and noticed the fixture buzzing when
power was applied, just barely audible. I replaced the bulb (and
placed a bucket over the photocell, and waited for nightfall) and
still no light. So I'm guessing the ballast is shot. However, doing
a quick search online, h39 ballast seems to go for $60 up! And that's
not even for the correct form factor. Somehow I don't think repairing
this is going to be the most cost-effective approach to getting some
work light.

Any suggestions for fixing/repairing this? Is there a better/cheaper
technology (halogens, e.g.)? What's the advantage of MV lighting
used, anyway? SInce I'll only use this a couple hours a week at most,
energy efficiency isn't high on the list of priorities.

(By the way, I know I'll get flamed if I don't add this, so: I don't
have any intention to leave this on 24/7, or even 12/7. It will be on
a switch, and I'll turn it on when I need some temporary work light in
this location - the entrance to my barn. I don't need always-on
lighting, and I don't intend to contribute to light pollution.)

Personally I think mercury vapor lights are outdated technology. I never
liked the fact that the bulbs don't burn out. They just get progressively
dimmer with age. Metal halide is more efficient as is high pressure sodium.
For maximum lumens per watt there is always low pressure sodium, but you may
have a difficult time finding cheap fixtures.

Here is one link to some reasonably priced fixtures. There are many more
links out there if you do a search.
http://www.usalight.com/small_outdoor_flood_c_189.html

While I will agree they do get dimmer with age, I disagree about them
not burning out. I have had several of them just that quit working
one day. Most were getting dim before they died, but I had at least
one that was still bright and suddenly died.