Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] alvinamorey@notmail.com is offline

Default Mercury vapor (or other) security light

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:48:57 -0000, wrote:

Anyone know anything about MV lights? I have an old (10-20 yr)
security light outside my barn, wired to come on at night. It hasn't
worked since I bought the place, ~7 years ago.

I got up on a ladder yesterday and noticed the fixture buzzing when
power was applied, just barely audible. I replaced the bulb (and
placed a bucket over the photocell, and waited for nightfall) and
still no light. So I'm guessing the ballast is shot. However, doing
a quick search online, h39 ballast seems to go for $60 up! And that's
not even for the correct form factor. Somehow I don't think repairing
this is going to be the most cost-effective approach to getting some
work light.

Any suggestions for fixing/repairing this? Is there a better/cheaper
technology (halogens, e.g.)? What's the advantage of MV lighting
used, anyway? SInce I'll only use this a couple hours a week at most,
energy efficiency isn't high on the list of priorities.

(By the way, I know I'll get flamed if I don't add this, so: I don't
have any intention to leave this on 24/7, or even 12/7. It will be on
a switch, and I'll turn it on when I need some temporary work light in
this location - the entrance to my barn. I don't need always-on
lighting, and I don't intend to contribute to light pollution.)

Thanks,

I'd change the photocell anyhow. I have a complete fixture as a spare
that I keep in the garage. I replace piece by piece in the garage. I
hate being up on that pole. When I get one piece that dont work on
the ground, I know thats the problem. Referring to photocell and
bulb. I never had to replace a ballast.

$60 for a ballast is rediculous. I bought a complete fixture with
bulb, mounting pipe & bracket for around $35. That was a few years
ago, but I bet they are not much over $40. Of course it depends on
where you buy them. (Just by chance did you get a defective NEW
bulb)? It can happen. Thats why I like my tests on the ground.

As for replacements, halogens have problems with bad sockets after a
few years, and then they eat bulbs. Personally, if it was only for
temporary use, I'd just install a common indecesant 150W flood or two
bulbs. But for an all night yard light, that is not as cost effective
as far as power use. I never tried a sodium light. I dont like the
color.

PS. when the light buzzes, turn it off, then back on again. They can
do odd things at times......

Kelly