Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] alvinamorey@notmail.com is offline

Default This Old [millionaires] House

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:44:29 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

I don't know about you, but these home improvement shows are WAY beyond my
budget lately.

I was watching This Old House last night and they had a $3000.00 plus
consultant hired in to study backyard water drainage and give
recommendations. Then they hired a crane to cut down a tree! (So they could
"lower" it down gently.) I'm sure that cost a pretty penny.

I just can't relate to these shows anymore so far as my home goes and my
budget. ($30,000.00 for a kitchen remodel, $60,000.00 to fix the place up a
bit, etc.)

Most people I know are hard pressed to come up with a few thousand dollars
for home projects...

I've felt that way for the last 10 years. In fact I used to enjoy
those shows but rarely watch them anymore. They are not suited to the
average home owner/repair. Heck, when my furnace breaks down, I get
out my tools and fix it myself. I dont replace the whole thing and
have some company do all the work too. I am older and I lived in the
days when everyone had to struggle to get by. These days I still
struggle like most people, but these shows are designed for the upper
crust crowd only. I am all for recycling, and these shows are so
wasteful too. I recall one of them where they took an old house,
gutted it, and tore down half of it too. In the end, all that
remained of the house was the frame, and only half the house. And the
original house was much nicer than mine. Whats the point of that.
Why not leave someone live in the old house and just build a new one.
On that same show they tore down a nearly new 2 car garage and just
destroyed it. I would have died to own that garage, but for the
millionaire crowd, it had to be a 4 car, and be attached to the house.
Dumb dumb dumb....