Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] kellyjones1@gmail.com is offline

Default Mercury vapor (or other) security light

Anyone know anything about MV lights? I have an old (10-20 yr)
security light outside my barn, wired to come on at night. It hasn't
worked since I bought the place, ~7 years ago.

I got up on a ladder yesterday and noticed the fixture buzzing when
power was applied, just barely audible. I replaced the bulb (and
placed a bucket over the photocell, and waited for nightfall) and
still no light. So I'm guessing the ballast is shot. However, doing
a quick search online, h39 ballast seems to go for $60 up! And that's
not even for the correct form factor. Somehow I don't think repairing
this is going to be the most cost-effective approach to getting some
work light.

Any suggestions for fixing/repairing this? Is there a better/cheaper
technology (halogens, e.g.)? What's the advantage of MV lighting
used, anyway? SInce I'll only use this a couple hours a week at most,
energy efficiency isn't high on the list of priorities.

(By the way, I know I'll get flamed if I don't add this, so: I don't
have any intention to leave this on 24/7, or even 12/7. It will be on
a switch, and I'll turn it on when I need some temporary work light in
this location - the entrance to my barn. I don't need always-on
lighting, and I don't intend to contribute to light pollution.)

Thanks,

Kelly