Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default 1 1/4" Oak Closet Rod Dowel Over 4 ft.?

Sam Fertel wrote:
I am in the middle of a home improvement (?) project. It am going to
replace the existing dark walnut stained pine clowels with oak. I
have
some closets with rods over 5' in length supported on each end and
with a single center support. I can't find oak longer than 4' in the
1
1/4" diameter. Does anyone know of a source for 5' or 6' oak dowels?

What tools do you have to work with? If you've got a table saw it's
not hard to make octagonal rods, if you have a router table and a 5/8"
roundover bit then you can easily make them round. For stock if you
have a hardwood supplier have them plane to 1-1/4 plus a sanding
allowance, if you don't then get a couple of "1 inch" boards from the
Borg and glue them up to get the thickness--mount it with the bondline
vertical and nobody will notice that it's a glue-up unless they're
looking hard for it.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)