Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O. Mike O. is offline

Default 1 1/4" Oak Closet Rod Dowel Over 4 ft.?

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 21:05:53 -0500, Sam Fertel
wrote:

I am in the middle of a home improvement (?) project. It am going to
replace the existing dark walnut stained pine clowels with oak. I have
some closets with rods over 5' in length supported on each end and
with a single center support. I can't find oak longer than 4' in the 1
1/4" diameter. Does anyone know of a source for 5' or 6' oak dowels?

If you don't have to have wood, chain link top-rail will work and
still fit in the closet rod sockets. It comes in 10'6" or 21'
lengths and we cut it with a metal cutting blade in a sawsall.
It's fairly cheap at about $8 for a 10'6 piece. The BORGs will have
it or about any lumber yard. Almost every builder we work for wants
us to use the stuff.

Mike O.