Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default 1 1/4" Oak Closet Rod Dowel Over 4 ft.?

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 04:30:18 -0500, Sam Fertel wrote:

Sort of a small version of Costco/Price club..

Good point, though... sometimes lumber is cheaper if it isn't called
lumber...lol

I couldn't find hardwood dowels here in Mexico but found some great brooms in a
local hardware store that were about $5 each and had 5' hardwood handles a bit
over 1" in diameter... made great towel rods in the guest bath..

Is your center support the metal band type of wood?
I'm thinking that if you had to, you could use a wood support and join 2 shorter
dowels there?

I don't understand smart and final. Is that a cleaning supply company
in California? I live in the Midwest. I'd never heard of them until I
just did a search in Google. Or, is it a long handle on some product?

Bill

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 20:29:09 -0700, asshat
wrote:

On Oct 20, 7:05 pm, Sam Fertel wrote:
I am in the middle of a home improvement (?) project. It am going to
replace the existing dark walnut stained pine clowels with oak. I have
some closets with rods over 5' in length supported on each end and
with a single center support. I can't find oak longer than 4' in the 1
1/4" diameter. Does anyone know of a source for 5' or 6' oak dowels?

Try smart & final in the cleaning supply section,you will be
suprized. 1 1/4"
hardwood dowels with about 5'2" usable after cutting off the tapered
end
and the best part is the price less than $4 ea.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing