Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] vk3bfa@hotmail.com is offline

Default Neat way of drilling centre holes in round bar....(non ranty political)

On Oct 20, 12:52 am, "Robert Swinney" wrote:
Andrew sez:

"2. then, with a drill bit the same size as the bar, in the drill press
chuck, position the vise so it is centered round the drill bit. Clamp
vise down with G-clamp. Do this as close as possible to end of job.
3. Swing the table around till the proposed hole centre is under a
small pilot drill . . . "

It seems to me "swinging the table around" even in a small arc would introduce enough error to spoil
the accuracy.

Bob Swinney

True, was aware of this error potential - (my maths is crap, so no
idea what the actual error would be, I couldnt SEE it, so was happy..)
the method described by spamTHIS is going to be the one used in
future, especially as its independent of having the exact same size
drill bit as the material being drilled... I had already cut the
thread in the bar, so was limited to clamping the rod on the plain
portion. Will do the thread last next time, so I can position the
drilling point of the vice better.

Hey, it was a quantum improvement on my previous methods, so was
feeling pretty good about what accuracy I did achieve.......glad this
group is here, get basic information that comes in real useful.....

Andrew VK3BFA.