mark

Default gate latches for utility trailer?

Hi all, in high school I built a little 4x8 all steel utility trailer.
Its a fraction of an inch too short to haul a full sheet of
anything or 8' lumber, etc. The gate has to come off. Anyway, when I
built it I used some galvanized hasps from the hardware store, needless
to say these didnt hold up long before they sprung and wont hold the
gate securely, its hinged across the bottom, with the hinges at the top.
They got sprung hauling a load of gravel and it pushed the sides out
just enough to spring the hinges. Does anyone have any ideas on some
better latches, and where to get them? I'd really like some automotive
type tailgate latches, but simple and ugly will do just fine. I'm
thinking maybee pins that slide in short sections of pipe? Thanks for
ideas all!

mark