Posted to alt.home.repair
clot clot is offline

Default What household item can I use to make a record loud noise into the phone?

EXT wrote:
Most of these people work in sweatshops outside the country, very
often in India, the "do not call list" means nothing, hurting the
person's ears won't help, the next one will take over when the
computer assigns your number to him. I find an answering machine
helps, when we see an 800 type number or blocked caller with unknown
number we let it take the call. In fact the machine will cut off a
blocked caller with an unknown number and force them to respond to
the answering machine immediately. They hang up immediately.
In fact one called right now as I type this reply. We get about 10 to
20 a day, nothing you can say or do will stop them, so we don't even
bother to talk to them.

"Terry" wrote in message
I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them
to put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national
do not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They
still call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

We have the same problem. Though I've registered with the Telephone
Preference Service (TPS) here in the UK, we continue to get calls from
overseas - predominantly mainland Europe and US, though also from India.
Due to the time difference between UK and US, I now will not respond to
any calls between 18.00 and 21.00 hrs UK because most are from
"Investment Advisors" in the US - I just leave the ansafone to do its
thing! India - it's usually first thing in the morning - but I've gone
out to work. Europe - during my daytime but I'm at work. My main problem
now is taking a day's holiday and being at home!