Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G Tom G is offline

Default This Old [millionaires] House

"Bill" wrote in message
I don't know about you, but these home improvement shows are WAY beyond my
budget lately.

I was watching This Old House last night and they had a $3000.00 plus
consultant hired in to study backyard water drainage and give
recommendations. Then they hired a crane to cut down a tree! (So they
could "lower" it down gently.) I'm sure that cost a pretty penny.

I just can't relate to these shows anymore so far as my home goes and my
budget. ($30,000.00 for a kitchen remodel, $60,000.00 to fix the place up
a bit, etc.)

Most people I know are hard pressed to come up with a few thousand dollars
for home projects...

I find it hard to understand the shows where they are shopping for a new
house or adding onto the old because the old house was only 4000 square
foot. We've raised two kids and never lived in anything larger than 1450
sq. ft., except for an old farm house we rented when first married. How on
earth do they pay the taxes on those big places. Here in N. Illinois, I
know of people paying over $12,000 per year Real Estate taxes, driving big
SUV's and Lexus' and I read that the high paying jobs have left this area.
Must be a lot of people dealing drugs or something.

Tom G.