Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Replacing fluorescent bulb

In article , willshak wrote:
on 10/12/2007 3:47 PM sinister said the following:

GE Utility Shoplite
F48"/25W/UTSL
25W
USA
Hg

That's a utility shoplight! That's made for a building or warehouse, so
that people don't trip over stuff on the floor.

No, warehouses and commercial buildings don't use the garbage known as
25 watt 4-foot fluorescent. The 25 watt rubbish is often known as
"residential grade" to those who know some things about this trade. The
25 watt trash goes into home basements and garages, and sometimes
contributes to ill feelings to fluorescents.

Wouldn't you want a cool white in the bathroom?

No, I would want something warmer, though whiter than incandescent.
There is such a thing - 3500 K.
For old technology lower color rendering index 40 watt 4-footer, this is
called "white" and has color code /W.
One of the "Big 3" made a higher-color-rendering-index
light-output-compromised version that I think of as the "Deluixe", though
it was called "Merchandising White", with color code MWX.
A good one with color rendering index 85 and color distortions mostly
being towards "more vivid" and full uncompromised light output is Philips
Ultralume 3500.

A Cool white lasts almost twice as long as a shoplight. 2000 hrs. on a
CW vs. 1200 hrs. on a SL.

Multiply by 10 - but only when averaging near or over 3 hours per start
and with a good quality ballast that is rated for the bulb/"lamp" being
used (which I think is less likely with a cheap "residential grade" "shop
light").
Keep in mind how long overhead fluorescent bulbs last in offices and
classrooms!

- Don Klipstein )