Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default Replacing fluorescent bulb

sinister wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message
on 10/12/2007 3:47 PM sinister said the following:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

sinister wrote:

Light went out in the bathroom. It's a 48" 25W T12 GE fluorescent
bulb.

I can get one online, but I'd rather rush it and buy one in a
brick and mortar store. Problem is that they only have 32W and
40W. Does that matter?

TIA,

What is the actual label printed on the bulb?
Is something like F48T12CW?

GE Utility Shoplite
F48"/25W/UTSL
25W
USA
Hg

That's a utility shoplight! That's made for a building or warehouse,
so that people don't trip over stuff on the floor.

Like I said, it's an old house that I'm renting. Plumber says
there's all sorts of crazy mismatched sh*t in here.

Wouldn't you want a cool white in the bathroom?
A Cool white lasts almost twice as long as a shoplight. 2000 hrs. on
a CW vs. 1200 hrs. on a SL.
No wonder you don't get a close shave. :-)

Tell that to my wife; it's her BR actually. :-)

I couldn't really find a 48" 25W T12 online, so the guy at the light
store gave me a 48" T8 32W. Seems to work OK, though it flickers at
a low rate somewhat.

Cheers.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

If you can live with that flickering, then OK. It is, however, a sign that
the bulb is drawing more current than the ballast can supply at the proper
voltage so the voltage starts to drop, the bulb reignites, current drops,
bulb reignites, and so on. If the ballast is aging, you could even get the
same effect with a 25W eventually.
Personally, I'd look around to see what the locals have for bulbs, buy a
compatible ballast, and exchange the ballast for a new one.
Doesn't sound like it's happening to you, but flourescent lightes also
require the fixture to be properly grounded. Just in case it gets to the
point where it won't come on at all.
Still got the 25W on order? Might be the best plan, just switch that in
when it arrives.

BTW, those shoplites actually go well in bathrooms although the fixtures
aren't pretty; they don't have "that light" that makes a woman's face seem
so ugly to themg. It's closer to the blue than the others, I think it is.

Pop`