Posted to alt.home.repair
sinister sinister is offline

Default Replacing fluorescent bulb

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 12, 3:00 pm, "sinister" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

ps.com...

On 12 Oct, 14:37, "sinister" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

groups.com...

On 12 Oct, 13:46, "sinister" wrote:
Light went out in the bathroom. It's a 48" 25W T12 GE fluorescent
bulb.

I can get one online, but I'd rather rush it and buy one in a brick
and
mortar store. Problem is that they only have 32W and 40W. Does
that
matter?

TIA,

Thanks for responding.

It *could* matter for 2 reasons:

1 - The fixture might not be rated for the higher wattage. There
should be a label on the fixture stating the maximum wattage to use.

Would that it were so. It's an old house we're renting. No label.

Aside from the point you make, changing the wattage won't mess up or
otherwise be incompatible with the "ballast" thing-ee?

2 - Assuming the fixture can handle one of the higher wattage bulbs,
the question is - can you? If you're used to 25W and are comfortable
with the lighting effect, then 32W or 40W might be too bright,
especially in a bathroom in the middle of the night.

Easy answer: If the fixture can handle the high wattage, try one and
see. The borg will take it back if you don't like it.

P.S. - I use incandescents in the bathrooms so I can use dimmers.-
Hide
quoted text -

-- Aside from the point you make, changing the wattage won't mess up
or otherwise be incompatible with the "ballast" thing-ee?

Uh, what point did you think I was making?

When I said "The fixture might not be rated for the higher wattage" I
meant the wattage might "mess up or otherwise be incompatible with the
"ballast" thing-ee"

OK. One of the fluorescent light FAQs on the web implied that one might
also worry about the rating of the circuit powering all of it. which is
what
I assumed you were referring to.

Cheers.- Hide quoted text -

-- "One of the fluorescent light FAQs on the web implied that one
might also worry about the rating of the circuit powering all of it."

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...like I even have to ask.

I can not imagine a circumstance where one would need to be concerned
about the "rating of the circuit powering all of it" when considering
replacing a 25W fluorescent tube with a 32W fluorescent tube.

Please post a link to the FAQ...I'm always willing to learn something.

My bad. Went back and looked at the FAQ and indeed it was in the context of
the ballast not matching.