Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Replacing fluorescent bulb

On 12 Oct, 13:46, "sinister" wrote:
Light went out in the bathroom. It's a 48" 25W T12 GE fluorescent bulb.

I can get one online, but I'd rather rush it and buy one in a brick and
mortar store. Problem is that they only have 32W and 40W. Does that
matter?

TIA,

It *could* matter for 2 reasons:

1 - The fixture might not be rated for the higher wattage. There
should be a label on the fixture stating the maximum wattage to use.

2 - Assuming the fixture can handle one of the higher wattage bulbs,
the question is - can you? If you're used to 25W and are comfortable
with the lighting effect, then 32W or 40W might be too bright,
especially in a bathroom in the middle of the night.

Easy answer: If the fixture can handle the high wattage, try one and
see. The borg will take it back if you don't like it.

P.S. - I use incandescents in the bathrooms so I can use dimmers.