Posted to rec.woodworking
eekamouse eekamouse is offline

Default Painting celotex

On Oct 8, 11:34 pm, "William Andersen" wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's celotex. Not a smoothe surface and very light - it was
white in 1940. It may have been put up for it's insulation value; I thought
it was to provide an interior wall.
I don't know about the code.
It's already been painted with several different kinds of white paint. It
looks better than before it was painted and is brighter but still pretty
crappy looking.
I may replace it with wall board, since I'm probably going to rewire the
building, and service to it. If I do that, I'll insulate the walls first.

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 8, 11:43 am, "William Andersen" wrote:
Any ideas on how to paint celotex?
The shop I've inherited (on the corner of our lot) was finished with
celotex. I've tried painting it, but it is really absorbent. Also, where
there had been water leaks from the ceiling, the celotex is discolored,
and
paint doesn't cover the stains.
My intent is to paint it white to brighten up the shop. I've been using a
brush and roller, and I'm considering spraying paint in the future.

Shellac. Give it a good coat of shellac. You can then paint over the
shellac and the stains won't bleed, or at least not as badly.- Hide quoted text -

They aoso made a product called Upsom board which was a white colored
sheet that was commonly used for interiior walls prior to sheetrock
days, and there is also a product called Homosote which came in a
variety of colors but most commonly a grey color which is pretty well
rot proof and was used for sofits and outside porch ceilings as well
as inside walls and ceilings. Both upson board and homosote are
light in weight and available in various thickness when it was made.
Both sucked up paints quick and shellac was a common primer used on it
back then.