Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Dripping noise

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 23:19:46 +0100, Jim S wrote:

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 21:56:00 +0100, John wrote:

Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago, when
the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the lounge. The
noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where central heating
pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling and I can't feel
anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid at times and then
slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

Just expansion otherwise it would drip all the time.

Once the system has "warmed up", if the noise stops just rest assured
that you aren't losing water from the CH system.
If you have a combi boiler do you constantly lose pressure?

I have a combi, and after the heating has been off for a while the
pressure gauge does start at well down but picks up as the system
heats up. I can't see any leaks so I assume that the apparent pressure
loss is in the boiler - I'm awaiting a visit from the Heateam guy.

--
Frank Erskine