Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default LED Lighting for Over Sink?

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 01:42:43 GMT, Art Todesco
wrote:

ransley wrote:
On Oct 5, 11:47 am, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
wrote:
Hi, the fluorescent strip light over my sink is going and I am thinking
it might be a good time experiment with LED lighting. I need enough
lumens to light up the sink for washing with no other light on. A dim
setting would be nice too. Looking for suggestions on if this is
feasible and worth it. Thx, Dan
I replaced mine with a bathroom like fixture that uses 4 40 watt bulbs.
It takes more energy but only time it is used is for only a few minutes
a day. Otherwise I have 2 cfl's in the main kitchen fixture which is on
a lot. You have to balance cost with energy savings. No sense putting
a lot of money into something expensive or tough to service.

Frank

I do not believe the LPW is any greater than a T8 with electronic
ballast, for 15$ get a new unit with a soft white bulb.

LEDs do last for a long time, however,
white LEDs get their white from
added phosphors. They are generally a
blue LED with an external
coating that glows white.

Seems like it would glow yellow, since combined with blue this
produces white.

BTW, I have a few "color changing" LED holiday lights. These have both
blue and yellow LEDs. When both are on, they look white.

These don't
last forever. White LEDs generally
give out quicker than a pure LED. I
have warm white T8s under my
cabinets. That's my preference. I
think cool white looks too commercial,
but some people like it and, I think you
can actually see better with the
cool white. The fixtures are mounted in
the 1" space on the bottom of the
cabinet. I built a 1/4" cover with a
cut out for the light, under all the
cabinets.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov