Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default LED Lighting for Over Sink?

ransley wrote:
On Oct 5, 11:47 am, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
wrote:
Hi, the fluorescent strip light over my sink is going and I am thinking
it might be a good time experiment with LED lighting. I need enough
lumens to light up the sink for washing with no other light on. A dim
setting would be nice too. Looking for suggestions on if this is
feasible and worth it. Thx, Dan

I replaced mine with a bathroom like fixture that uses 4 40 watt bulbs.
It takes more energy but only time it is used is for only a few minutes
a day. Otherwise I have 2 cfl's in the main kitchen fixture which is on
a lot. You have to balance cost with energy savings. No sense putting
a lot of money into something expensive or tough to service.

Frank

I do not believe the LPW is any greater than a T8 with electronic
ballast, for 15$ get a new unit with a soft white bulb.

LEDs do last for a long time, however,
white LEDs get their white from
added phosphors. They are generally a
blue LED with an external
coating that glows white. These don't
last forever. White LEDs generally
give out quicker than a pure LED. I
have warm white T8s under my
cabinets. That's my preference. I
think cool white looks too commercial,
but some people like it and, I think you
can actually see better with the
cool white. The fixtures are mounted in
the 1" space on the bottom of the
cabinet. I built a 1/4" cover with a