Gunner

Default Rotary Phase Converter

On Sat, 15 May 2004 02:03:53 GMT, patlandy
wrote:

Pdelpriore wrote:
I have a 220 v 3 phase, 3/4 horsepower motor and want to run it from a 220 v
single phase source.
I have a 220 v 3 phase, 3 horsepower motor that I would like to use as a
rotary phase converter. I have a 25, 35, 40 and 40 uf capacitors. I need help
on how to wire these.

Thank you.

Paul

Here is a link to the Frugal Machinist's (Roy) Rotary Phase Converter
page. This man's website is one of the most informative
and interesting I have seen.
I used his plans, had a little problem with the relay, so I use a
momentary switch in it's place.... The unit I built using his plans works
flawlessly.
Pat Landy

??

Another question about RPCs....

Im currently running much of my shop on a 5hp commercial (but old)
rotary converter, but have been running out of power once in a while.
I have a big Clausing 1500 (7hp) that will start ok in direct drive,
but tends to get boggy in any of the gear speeds and when I do a fast
reverse, it pops the 30 amp breakers feeding the RPC.

The commercial RPC sounds like a jet turbine on windup when it runs..I
have it hidden behind a lathe, but it still makes my teeth itch and
actually puts me in a bad mood if I run it for a long period of time.

A guy has offered to give me a very nice, older and very well balanced
20hp motor. "pick it up or we will dump it in the trash".

What sort of cap values is this gonna need?

Should I spin it up with a pony motor? Im up to my butt in belts and
pulleys, so this shouldnt be a problem...lol.

What sort of current draw will it have in idle? Will my electric
meter be spinning like a dervish?

Should I simply hunt around for a 10hp motor instead?

Thanks all. Oh..my Gorton mill runs on its own 5hp VFD.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell