Posted to alt.home.repair
jthread jthread is offline

Default Dual sump pumps

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 2, 5:33?pm, "EXT" wrote:
If you have room in your sump for both pumps, put them in side by side,
otherwise it will be impossible to remove a lower bad one without
shutting
down the one above it.

Do not wire them both into the same circuit. Keep two circuits in case
one
pump quits and blows the breaker on its line.

Pipe both sumps into separate discharge lines. Don't connect them
together
except at a point where they both discharge into a drain line that is
much
larger than the pipes from the pump. 4" or 6" would make a good drainage
line to take both pumps.

The alternator switching method sounds good.

"Smarty" wrote in message

I have a considerable amount of water enter my basement sump pump pit
when
it rains heavily, and a husky submersible pump which can pump several
thousand gallons of water per hour if needed when the pit begins to
fill.
The pump is powered by 110V current, backed up by an automatic emergency
(natural gas powered) generator, so I feel quite confident I will be
able
to pump water under most conditions.

The concern I have is if the pump fails.

I want to install a second pump which will kick in if the water level
rises in the pit high enough to trigger it. My current thought would be
mount it above the current pump, and perhaps share the same outlet /
discharge pipe. I'm not sure this is a correct or optimal arrangement,
or
if there is some better way of hooking up a second / backup pump. An
alternative would be to fit 2 pumps at the same height into the pit,
let
both operate whenever water level rises, and then assume that either or
both of the pumps will be working when I really need them.

The basement is finished with a lot of relatively expensive tools,
furniture, etc. so I want this to be done right. I welcome any advice
or
opinions, and thank you in advance for your assistance.

Smarty- Hide quoted text -

just install a second pit, easy to do and have 2 completely seperate
pits with two completely seperate pumps draining into 2 completely
seperate discharge lines. all redundant all the time add a batery
back up pump to one just in case.

A couple thoughts, it amazes me how many people have sump pumps that
could drain to daylight! at least in a overflow pump failure mode. if
you could, get a backhoe to dio some digging gravity is really
reliable.

another thing you should investigate why so much water in a heavy
rain? leaking downspout drain broken pipes? clogged gutters filled
with debris? could you add a french drain somewhere to minimize flow
somehow?

sump pumps work awesome, at least till they fail but you need to look
at this as a entire groundwater control system.

the less water traveling thru your sump the better!

you might try putting in some good sized french drains if you can get access
to the source of the water. that would be my preferred fix