jim rozen

Default Rotary Phase Converter

In article , Pdelpriore says...

I have a 220 v 3 phase, 3/4 horsepower motor and want to run it from a 220 v
single phase source.
I have a 220 v 3 phase, 3 horsepower motor that I would like to use as a
rotary phase converter. I have a 25, 35, 40 and 40 uf capacitors. I need help
on how to wire these.

You probably don't need the capacitors.

Connect your two 240 volt incoming line to two of the three leads
in the large motor, via a fused knife switch.

Connect your load (3/4 hp) motor to all three of the wires of
the idler motor - ie, motors in parallel - via whatever
switch you are going to use to run the load motor.

Spin the large motor up with a small single phase (pony)
motor, getting going at least as fast as the nameplate
speed, and then throw the knife switch to apply the
excitation.

Uncouple the pony motor at this time and turn it off.

Measure the line-to-line voltages on your new three phase
supply, they will probably be within ten percent or better
for load motor that small in comparision to the idler motor
hp rating.

Jim

Your

please reply to: