Racer X

Default Soldering aluminum tubing to steel sheet metal

"PJ" wrote in message ...

The task you are trying to accomplish is very possible. You are
dependent on your choice of solder and flux's. I would recommend the
Harris brand. Harris Stay-Brite 8 silver solder would be my choice for
the solder. It will bond both metals.
http://www.jwharris.com/jwprod/solderalloys/#SBSolder

My choice for the flux on the steel would be Harris Stay-Clean flux.
It is available in liquid and paste forms.
http://www.jwharris.com/jwprod/braze...uxes/#soldflux

Additionally, Harris makes an aluminum flux for soldering using the
same silver solder mentioned above, Stay-Clean Aluminum. It is also on
the flux page I posted above.

The solder has very high strength and is food safe. The web sites I
posted tells it all.

I would "tin" the pieces with solder - using the appropriate flux -
and then join them together as a unit by adding additional solder. A
propane or Mapp torch should be more than adequate. I have tremendous
success with this solder and flux combination. I do a bit of work in
stainless steel, copper, brass and aluminum. Most heating/air
suppliers that I'm familiar with carry this brand.

I hope this helps.
PJ

Thanks for the informative reply. I'll check into the Harris products.

Have you ever used the Harris Alsolder 500? It was on the same page
with that silver solder. Would that be a better choice for me
considering I'm working with aluminum?