Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone Dave Balderstone is offline

Default Should you Sand and seal a Red cedar deck? crossed to Rec.Woodworking / home.repair

In article , HotRdd
wrote:

Just finishing installing a 1000 sqf red cedar deck at my house and I always
had it in the back of my head that I would give it a quick sand when I was
finished to remove the burrs and pencil marks, and then seal it with a Behr
waterproof finish.

Anyway I had a friend over that refinishes floors and asked him if he was
interested in giving it a quick sand, since he has the equipment and figured
it would only take 1-2 hrs, he said that the cedar shouldn't be sanded or
sealed. Thoughts?

If you want it to go silver, then do nothing.

I built a 12 x 16 cedar deck this summer. Used Superdeck Brightener,
then sanded it, then used Superdeck single coat Transparent Stain to
seal it. Water is beading on the planks.

It looks fantastic.

http://improve-usenet.org/