Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Garden Tractor Demolition / Cutting up steel - How and how fast can I do it?

On Sep 10, 6:46 pm, Gerald Miller wrote:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 07:00:56 -0700, djenyc wrote:
I tried cutting some steel this weekend with jig saw, recip saw and
circular saw with abrasive disc. My experience so far:
Circ saw - medium to poor precision, way too noisy and set grass on
fire, don't think I'll be using it again
Recip saw - only good for demolition on structural components,
vibrates sheet metal too much, poor precision
Jig saw - worked ok for thin metal but it needed to be clamped well.
Sometimes blade got stuck.

I think I'll keep the 4x6 band saw and try it in a week or 2

Ever tied a cutting disk on an angle grinder?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

A cutting disk on an angle grinder cuts corrugated steel roofing
pretty well.
They work in a table saw, too. I use a belt-driven saw with the belt
fairly loose so the disk can jam without breaking.

jw