Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Behning Jim Behning is offline

Default What kinds of plywood do you usually use ? What end use do you use plywood for ?

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:48:27 -0000, Mason Pan
wrote:

Thank you for all your feedbacks .

When you using plywood, have you paid some attention to the glue and
core of the plywood ?
What glue and core are they ?

Mason Pan
http://www.plywood.cc/

Since I do not have a plywood plant in my backyard I have no way to
influence the glue used. If you know anything about plywood you know
most roof and decking plywood is spec 'ed with exterior glue. What
that glue is who knows. For interior plywood much plywood is made
10,000 miles away. I would expect that there is lead, human bones,
spit and other goo in the glue as many Asian manufacturers seem to
want to dispose of hazardous materials to US consumers.

When I use CDX or BCX for projects I expect Southern Yellow pine as
the surface and core. I do not want mystery wood or mystery glue. I
want something that is "safe" for me and my livestock. I also do not
want voids in the core whether I am using the plywood for furniture or
for construction.

If you ask the same question of wholesale customers who can ask for
certain glues and cores then you may get a different answer. End
consumers often have little to no choice in the matter as they are at
the mercy of the local wholesale/retail store.

I have seen fire ret ardent plywood fail on TV and in the
neighborhood. Failure is defined as people falling through roofs as
the plywood delaminated. I would suspect that if the plywood was at
the failure point where walking on it would let someone fall through
then it was a greater fire hazard than plywood that had not suffered a
glue failure.