Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default Portland Oregon metal supplier?

Carla Fong wrote:
Hi all -

Several years ago I found a metal supplier in Portland who was located
under the Ross Island Bridge in the Zidell area. I think I remember the
name as "Pacific Metals"

Since the gentrification of the waterfront area I've heard that they
moved, and now that I need some additional small bits of 14ga 6061 I'm
trying to re-locate them to no avail..

Does anyone know where they went - or - does anyone know a good supplier
(preferably in the Portland area) of small (like remnant) pieces of
1/16" aluminum for less than an arm and leg or first-born?

Thanks in advance -

Carla

I'll plead complete ignorance on one aspect of your question.

I have no idea if aluminum sheet is even sold in "Gauge" sizes. All
the aluminum I have ever dealt with was marked in thousandths of an
inch. Maybe the stuff sold as flashing at the borg home stores... ?

Try phoning the guys. If they are still in business, they have a
phone. Probably listed under "metal" or "recycling" in the yellow pages.

Other options. Other metal dealers. Aircraft maintenance. Got a light
plane Airport near you? Every guy that I know that has had anything to
do with airplanes has a cardboard box full off assorted remnants. The
certified aircraft guys usually keep some scraps around that have lost
their markings. Usefull enough for doing misc. projects with, but not
really supposed to end up on airplanes. Often, available for the asking,
though, the guys I know would be pretty pleased to have an offer of some
coffees, or donuts in the mix. They are usually even happier, when they
actually get them! :-)

Ask around to see if there is an EAA (Experimental Aircraft Assn)
Chapter near you. These are aircraft homebuilders. Same deal.

If you have to resort to retail, take a look at Aircraft Spruce and
Specialty. Good folks.

Take a quick look through an aircraft homebuilders magazine at the
news stant. Buy one even. Lots of ad's from outfits catering to the
small user.

Not a direct answer, sorry. Hope it gives you a few ideas, though.

Cheers
Trevor Jones