Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag Snag is offline

Default thinish brass: hole saw okay?

Eli the Bearded wrote:
In rec.crafts.metalworking, William Noble wrote:
the short answer is yes, it will work, unless your hole saw is that
amazingly pathetic hole saw set that harbor freight sells for $3.99,
in which case it may well go dull before it drills anything

The hole saw worked out for me. I didn't use that HF one, but the
one I did use had a guide screw in the middle too dull to go through
the brass. I predrilled the guide hole, and then had no problems with
the hole saw cutting the brass. The holes weren't perfect, but close
enough that they worked great.

but as others pointed out, be careful to get the holes located
accurately

and beware of the brass getting caught and swinging around and really
hurting you (as was already pointed out)

As part of the wood sandwich, I put screws all the way through and
then clamped the bottom piece of wood down. My drill press is
currently in need of a new belt, so I did it with the hand drill. No
problems.

Some pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elitheb...7601916195204/

Elijah
------
went shopping for a belt yesterday but didn't find the right size

Looks great ! Most would have trashed the door and installed a new prehung
unit .
quiet applause
--

Snag aka OSG #1