Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default OT-internet address list

According to Gerry :
On Sep 9, 9:26 am, Jedd Haas wrote:
In article . com,

[ ... ]

I always run my cursor over the link and read the real address before
going there. Seldom do the posted address and the real address match
up. I'm just curious if there is some system of numbers that make it
easy to spot when the site is in Niger or someother known location
that hosts these people- say a number that means Niger or something.
Something simple

No such luck. You have to do an individual nslookup on each IP.
Sometimes, you can get a good idea from the first octet (the numbers
before the first '.'), but not always. Europe is handled by RIPE, and
you'll find blocks of as small as 255 address (differing only in the
last octet) assigned to vastly different countries.

I use a program called "jwhois" in my unix system, though I had
to compile that from source. A just plain "whois" comes with unix, but
you often have to try two or three calls as it redirects you to
different whois servers before you get a hit. "jwhois" automates that.

Or -- you could do a lookup with geektools via the web, IIRC.
(I use their whois server for when jwhois gets confused, which happens
sometimes.) But I call it with whois, and if you don't have that,
you'll need to go to the web-based approach.

geektools puts a limit on the number of lookups per day from a
given site, though I've never hit it (yet).

Check out http://www.geektools.com

They seem to have added a stumbling block for those trying to abuse it
by automated systems, but it should work for you.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564