Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default Pinging Bruce for Clarification

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 17:46:59 -0400, Stuart Wheaton
wrote:

Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 22:34:44 -0400, Stuart Wheaton
wrote:

Ken Sterling wrote:
Bruce (or anyone qualified).....
Three phase power ----- isn't each leg 120 degrees from the others?
Single phase power - 220v - isn't each leg 180 degrees from the other?
If the above is correct (and I'm hoping I understand it correctly) it
would stand to reason, that if you needed to hook up a 220v single
phase machine and you had 3 phase available at that location you
could, (and I am not saying it's correct) connect to two of the three
phases and run the machine, even tho the sine waves wouldn't be 180
out, it probably wouldn't hurt anything. Am I correct in this
assumption??? Any and all comments welcome
Thanks.
Ken.

Three phase is usually 208/120. 208 volts between phases and 120 volts
leg to ground. Many machines have a 200 volt tap for this situation.

Stuart

Its usually 240/120.

Do the math

120 * SqrRoot 3 (1.73)= 208

Hmmm I did the math, then I stuck the probes of my Fluke on the 3
phase into our shop, and almost every other large distro I've ever had
to work in and found 208/120. If your little corner of the world is
different, it ain't my fault.

But then again, so much of your little world doesn't agree with reality,
why should this be different.

Stuart

Well...shrug..it is California. The 7th largest economy in the world.

You did say you live in the Rust Belt, right?

Gunner